Re: should /var/spool/mail/ have a the sticky bit set? ...

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 03:44:32AM +0200, Andre Berger wrote:
> * Walter Tautz <wtautz@math.uwaterloo.ca>, 20010401 22:41 +0200:
> > Previously I could not delete mail. NOt clear whether being in the mail group is
> > appropriate...
>
> Just to delete mail, you might try "cat /dev/null >
> /var/spool/mail/$YOU"

not a good idea unless you lock your mailbox first, man lockfile.  if
you don't lock your mailbox you might get a message delivered right
before you zero out your mailbox, in which case you lose it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/