Re: stupid exim problems (NEWBIE-ish)

At 10:59 PM 4/1/2001 -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:

Hey,

This cursed exim has proved quite painful to set up.  I'm trying to get
it to work through my proxy server, so I ran eximconfig.  I chose
option 2 (receive mail w/ fetchmail, send with smarthost). I told it my visible mail name = cmatheson (my user name for the account on my proxy), and then I told it that the smarthost was bowwow (my proxy server). It doesn't work though (it doesn't even show a connection being made to the proxy server when I send with mailto, etc). I can send w/ Mozilla however (I'm using it right now (and it shows a connection to the proxy server)), which leads me to believe that it is not the proxy server's problem. Is something wrong with my exim set up (I've tried everything (i think)). I'll include my exim.conf with this message.

I may be totally wrong, but I think that a proxy is just for web content. For your smarthost, you're going to want to add your isp's mail server. What did you enter for your mailservers in mozilla? Also, I see that you've added cmatheson as your qualifiy domain. I'm not sure that you're going to want that. That would mean that any address that you don't put a @somedomain on, will become addy@cmatheson.

I'm not booted to Debian right now, but I have a functional exim.conf file I could send you so you can see how I have it set up. There is a rewrite section at the end of the file where you would add how you want your email address to be written for outbound mail.

I see you found it:

  *@cmatheson    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                                                {$value}fail} frFs

Assuming that cmatheson is your username on your box, you might try:

  cmatheson cmatheson3@yahoo.com frFs

I'm getting ready to check out for the night, but I'll boot into debian tomorrow and check what I have and let you know...

[exim.conf snipped]
---