networking prob

I installed Debian 2.2_R2 today on my second computer. It was running
Redhat then Progeny RC1 just fine. After installing Debian I am unable to
reach (ping) my gateway.

#ifconfig  (results are fine).
#route     (takes a long time to finish, taking time with default gateway,
            but when it does finish, 15 minutes later, results are fine).

The correct module is loaded (tulip), the NIC is recognized during boot.
Use the same NIC on the other computer running Debian unstable, without
trouble.

What am I missing. Progeny autoconfigured fine, so know I am missing
something.

PS. The lights on my Linksys Etherfast Cable router show the connection
to this computer is failing every 10-15 seconds.

Thanks,
--
Kevin C. Smith             There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
smithkevinc@nettaxi.com    by reading. The few who learn by observation. The