are X binaries compatible across X versions?

Will all X 3.3.6 binaries run on X 4.0.2? What about the other way around?
What other files are dependent on the server version? For example,
if I upgrade the server from 4.0.2 to something else, which tarballs
do I need to get besides Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz?

(This may sound off-topic, but someone on the Xpert list suggested that
it isn't, since Debian has both 3.3.6 and 4.0.2, depending on the release.)

-chris