Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Christopher Mosley wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2001, Krzys Majewski wrote:
>
> > Oliver Payne <oliver.payne@mail.com> writes:

> > > You might want to look at http://www.quietpc.com .  They claim their CPU
> > > fans are practically inaudible.  I ordered a SilentDrive enclosure from them
> > > and I'm very happy with it.
> > >
> > > Oliver
> >
> > I have  no beef with quietpc.com,  but FWIW their claim  about the CPU
> > fan does not apply to my PC.  I bought a Molex Radial Fin cooler from
> > them. It was noisier than  the original Intel cooler. QuietPC replaced
> > the fan (free of charge) with one that draws less power.  The resulting
> > cooler  is  slightly  quieter  than  the Intel  one,  but  still  very
> > audible.  Possibly   my  motherboard  is  deficient  in   the  way  of
> > temperature sensors, causing the fan to spin too fast, but it has been
> > this way with two motherboards already, both of them fairly standard.
> >
> > On  the other hand I  also bought a  SilentDrive from quietpc
> > and it made a  huge difference. I've only had it for  a week though so
> > I'm not sure what the thermal effects on my hard drive will be.
> >
> > I've ordered a different CPU fan from PC Power & Cooling, and when
> > that fails as well, I'll go to radio shack and buy a $0.25 resistor to
> > slow down the fan a little.
>
> Sorry, It's a bit late now but I hope you ordered one in the low noise
> series. The one I have has the suffix -HS after the model number.
> I'm not sure if the low noise suffix is the same for all models.
>                                                        Good luck
>

>  When  that fails, I'll buy a G4 Cube. When
> > Apple goes out of business, I'll buy  a Sun Ray, and put the server in
> > my closet. When  Sun goes out of business, I'll  throw out my
> > computers, and buy a typewriter.

I just had an idea. Did you ever hear the story of the "Princess and
the Pea".  No mattter how many matresses were placed between the Princess
and the pea, she was still disturbed by the presence of the pea. Your
being bothered my these ever quieter fans, is really an extreme sensitivity
and could well be an indication of noble birth (though this fact has been
carefully hidden from you). Just an idea.