Dist-upgrade removes Gnome!

Please cc answers to me as I'm not subscribed to this list.

I'm running Debian sid and the most recent dist-upgrade wants to remove a
whack of gnome apps which would render my system useless.

Here's what I get for a dist-upgrade:

Mallard:/home/duckwing# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-card-games gnome-games gnome-utils guile1.3 libguile6 libguile6-slib
  libssl096 pnmtopng python-zlib stormpkg task-gnome-apps task-gnome-games
  task-helix-gnome
  asclock-themes bonobo console-common debconf-utils defoma gawk gconf
  gtkglarea5 guile-common guile1.4 guile1.4-slib jadetex libcap1 libdb3
  libefs1 libexpat1 libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 libgmp3 libgnome-vfs0 libmng1
  libnetpbm9 libssl0.9.6 libwmf0 libwww0 linuxdoc-tools oaf perl perl-doc
  perl-modules perl-suid scrollkeeper sgmltools-lite
The following packages have been kept back
  rpm sawfish sawfish-gnome
386 packages upgraded, 32 newly installed, 13 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 210MB of archives. After unpacking 25.5MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

If I just try apt-get upgrade, I get the following:

Mallard:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  abiword adduser alien apt console-data console-tools console-tools-libs
  debconf debhelper devscripts dh-make docbook-stylesheets eperl
gimp1.2-perl
  gnome-applets gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-help-data gnome-panel
  gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-terminal gnome-utils gnucash gs
gtkhtml
  idle imagemagick jpilot libcapplet0 libcurses-perl libdbd-csv-perl
  libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libdigest-md5-perl libgconf11 libgnome-perl
  libgtk-imlib-perl libgtk-perl libgtkhtml-data libgtkhtml7
libgtkxmhtml-perl
  libguile9 liblingua-ispell-perl libmagick5 libpam-modules libpaperg libqt2
  libterm-slang-perl libterm-stool-perl libtext-csv-perl libtimedate-perl
  libwww-perl mpage mysql-client mysql-server netpbm perl-5.005
  perl-5.005-base perl-5.005-doc perl-5.005-suid perl-5.6 perl-5.6-base
  perl-base perlmagick pilot-link python-base python-dev python-examples
  python-gdbm python-mpz python-tk rpm sawfish sawfish-gnome sgmltools-2 ssh
  tetex-bin util-linux xt
311 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
Need to get 157MB of archives. After unpacking 33.0MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

I haven't done a dist-upgrade in a while since the problems with perl5.6
were initially discovered. But I do not know why I have these problems.
Here's my sources.list:

#for ximian gnome
deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/distributions/debian unstable main

#for Debian
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.vlug.org/linux/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib
non-free

So the question is, why is sawfish being kept back in the dist-upgrade and
removing gnome. Why are 80 packages (mostly gnome related plus a lot of perl
packages as well) kept back in the regular upgrade? What changed to cause
these problems and how can I solve the problem before I upgrade?

I don't want to hose my system here and yet that's exactly what seems would
happen if I went through with the upgrade. I thought about trying to add the
sources for the Gnome 1.4 beta but I understand there are some issues with
it and Sid right now so I didn't bother.

    __   _                                           Carl B. Constantine
   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __                            duckwing@pobox.com
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.4.1)                        ICQ: 26351441
                                            PGP key available on request

  Up the line - out the server- past the firewall - nothing but Net!!