Re: fortune: "fortune: bad juju in is_existant: Permission denied"

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> I can't run fortune anymore: It's been like that for some weeks in
> woody, but I guess it's happened only to me, since there are no
> references to "juju" in the mailing list archive. If I run fortune on
> the cmd line, I get the error given in this mail's subject, which isn't
> very verbose. It does't matter if I run as root or regular user.
>
> Thanks for hints

Well according to the source this means that a stat() of some file did
not return true, and the errno was not ENOENT or ENOTDIR. stat(2) lists
some other possible error codes including ELOOP, EFAULT, EACCES, ENOMEM,
and ENAMETOOLONG. I'm betting it's EACCES -- some sort of local
permissions problem on your system.

Stracing fortune and looking for the return code of the stat() call would
probably pinpoint your particular problem.

--
see shy jo