Re: Why not to, was Re: how to format a floppy in ext2

on Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 05:58:41PM +0100, David Wright (d.wright@open.ac.uk) wrote:
> Quoting Robert Voigt (f1k@gmx.de):
> > I find the truncation of long filenames on MSDOS floppies really
> > annoying. But I haven't found a way to format a floppy in ext2. Fdformat
> > is obsolete, and superformat seems to be unable to format ext2. Is there
> > something that can do it?
>
> While this thread has probably given you all the information you need
> for formatting floppies as ext2, I would recommend that you don't.
> As someone pointed out, vfat will give you long filenames (but not
> filenames that only differ in case; you didn't want that?).
>
> Remember that floppies don't lock themselves in like many removable
> media: the first time you eject a mounted floppy, you'll be left
> with the problem of unmounting it cleanly. Once a DOS floppy has
> finished writing, it doesn't matter if you forget all about it and
> eject it some days later - you can umount it after the event.

Use the sync option -- all write will be done synchroneously rather than
buffered.  Slower, but no agony of recovery on premeture
eja...eji...ejection.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  Essentially the same
picture as you get accessing a floppy under Legacy MS Windows.

There are also the MSDOS utilities which work on *unmounted* media, also
in a synchronous fashion.  Though I hardly ever use these.

And, yes, there are advantages to using an archive format (zip, tar,
afio, cpio).