Re: how to format a floppy in ext2

> > I think you need to chage the permissions of the /floppy directory...
> >

> > chmod g+w /floppy    .....if that doesn't work try
> > chmod a+w /floppy

The chmod did the trick. How could I forget the permissions? I was confused because I could write to msdos floppies without having write access to /floppy, wierd.

> You have basicly two options:
>
> Format the floppy as user, the floppy then belongs to you and you can
> mount and write it. (You need to have write access to /dev/fd0)
>
> Format the floppy as root, then mount as root, chown or chmod the
> mountmoint as needed, umount and mount as user.

I cannot run mke2fs as user, only as root. I don't know if it's a good idea to change the permissions for mke2fs (I'm connected to the internet = security risk). Anyway, there's no difference in write access to the floppy, regardless who formatted it. Also the permissions for /dev/fd0 seem to have no effect, only those for /floppy.