Kernel Panic after complilation

Dear Debian-users,

For some reason I am no longer able to compile my kernel.
I have Debian 2.2 and kernel 2.2.15 installed. Because I want to add a
new Ethernet adapter, I need to recompile.

When I reboot my new kernel (either from flop or directly) I end with:

  VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
  Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root FS on 08:01

Only way to get access is to use a Rescue flop with root=/dev/sda1
I get a continous series of modprope errors then, but am able to log in
anyway and install the original kernel with dpkg -i.

I am not sure what I am missing here. I used to be able to make the
kernel.

Thanks a lot for any assistance.

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>