Re: how can i determine why apt-get "keeps packages" back?

> Can someone point me towards information regarding
> why apt-get will sometimes say certain packages have
> been kept back and how i may resolve the troubles: (hope
> this isn't too much information)

I think it's because a package depends on another that's not available
(yet). Now that I think about that though, it doesn't make sense that a
packager would require another one that doesn't exist...

> The following packages have been kept back
>   gedit gnome-utils gnumeric

Try and install one of these by itself, with "apt-get install gedit",
for example. That will tell you what it needs.

Regards
Hall