Re: sharing an internet connection with a cable modem

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 10:18:25AM +0100, JACKSON, DEAN wrote:

> Right here's the scenario.
>
> cable modem with dhcp allocated ip
> int ne t card connected to this
> 2nd int net card connected to local LAN using-static ip
> machines on local LAN can send ping's to external ip addresses
> problem-- machines in local LAN cannot browse internet (unable to resolve
> dns)
> my dns servers are 192.168.4.100 and 192.168.8.100 (as provided by isp)
WTH?
this are local ip's..... weird

> im sure I have installed everything correctly and put dns settings in the
> correct places on the local machines but obviously I haven't on the Linux
> box
> question is there a document that shows how to set this sort of thing up
> properly, what files on the Linux box do I have to modify?
> anyone got any idea what I have missed?
> I have read many how-to documents and seem to have done everything
/etc/resolv.conf contains dns settings

try resolving from linux box, but i guess the dns servers are wrong,
192.168.x.x is a local up range, unless your isp uses some lame way of
NAT (like some dsl providers do)

If the linux box frowards pings, and it forwards tcp/udp connections
(does it? try telnetting to the ip of some xternal web server, port
80, like:
$ telnet 198.186.203.20 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
host: www.debian.org

(don't forget the blank line) you should see a lot of html junk then.
if this works, tcp connections to the outside look ok, are you suere
then dns ip's are ok?
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
Where's the DIR command?