Re: need help with ncurses...

"Mark H. Wood" <mwood@IUPUI.Edu> wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Jake R. Johnson wrote:
>> how do i install ncurses?
>
>atp-get install <package that has ncurses in it>
>
>How to discover the name of <package that has ncurses in it> is the
>question for which I currently have no good answer.  Scrolling through
>6900 packages in dselect takes too much time and is too error prone (at
>least, when *I* do it).  So far the best I've found is:
>
>grep Package:.*ncurses /var/lib/dpkg/available | less

grep-dctrl is a very handy package for this. 'grep-available ncurses'
will show packages whose control information contains "ncurses",
although of course that gets you everything that depends on ncurses too;
'grep-available -P ncurses' will just search package names;
'grep-available -nsPackage -P ncurses' will only show you package names
in the output; you get the idea, there are many options to play with.

'apt-cache search ncurses' is useful as well.

Note that you can do searches in dselect: '/ncurses', Enter, and then
'\' to repeat the search.

If you want to find a package containing a given file, go to
http://packages.debian.org/ and use the search form there.