XFree86 4 Problem!

I would check the list archives, but I don't have X or Netscape to do that
with :(
I have just upgraded to woody with dist-upgrade and when I try to
connect to Xwindows using startx I get the following error message:

FontTransSocketUnixConnect: Can't Connect: errno =2
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, remove from list!

I remember something about a symbolic link that flashed across the screen,
but didn't copy it down.

I'm using a Voodoo 3 card and configured XF86Config using the text
xf86config program.

I am also using kernel 2.4.2, and I don't remember anything about the Voodoo
3 card.. Did I leave something out when I recompiled the kernel?

Thanks for any info or help