Re: mount a mounted filesystem

on Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:47:27PM -0500, Brian Stults (bs7452@csc.albany.edu) wrote:
> The unix system at my school is not mountable from off-campus.  However,
> I can mount it via smbfs from my work computer (on campus), and I can
> mount my work filesystem via nfs from home.  I figured that if the unix
> filesystem is mounted to my work computer, I could access it from home
> through my work computer.  However, when I mount the work filesystem and
> access the directory under which the unix filesystem is mounted, it
> appears empty.  If I ssh to my work computer and view the mounted
> filesystem from there, it is not empty.  Is there some limitation here
> that I'm not aware of, or some option that I must invoke?  I apologize
> for the unclear explanation of the situation here.  I'm fairly new to
> the language of remotely mounted filesystems.

I'm not familiar with NFS, but believe that an export will not traverse
filesystems.  If you think about it, this is a good thing.  Imagine a
filesystem which includes as a subdirectory an NFS mounted filesystem
which includes as a subdirectory an NFS mounted filesystem which
includes as a subdirectory an NFS mounted filesystem which includes as
a subdirectory an NFS mounted filesystem which includes as a
subdirectory an NFS mounted filesystem....   And you decide to do a
'find /net/nfs' on this....

Check NFS docs for settings.  I believe you'll have to do something
different to get the SMB share exported asa well.