Re: newbie-esque: how to cut & paste?

will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
>the mouse moves its pointer all over the place at your bidding,
>and you can select text at the console whether in vi or less or
>lynx; and within X your mouse can select text via konqueror (kde)
>and quickie notepad-like accessories and in rxvt/xterm/etc.
>
>coming from the mac background, i'm used to being able to
>command-c (control-c) to COPY whatever's been selected via mouse,
>which i can then command-v (control-v) PASTE into just about any
>place that would accept typed text.
>
>how does a debian/potato user do the cut-and-paste dance?
>
>- select text and copy it from console, switch to X, paste into a
>  netscape or konqueror html form field

There's a pair of nice tools in the wmaker package called wxcopy and
wxpaste, which allow you to copy from standard input to the X clipboard
and to paste from the X clipboard to standard output. You could use
those (probably with a $DISPLAY setting to select the right X display)
to copy and paste between the console and X.

I've got a wishlist bug open to split these out of wmaker - they're not
dependent on it as far as I know, so it would be nice if they were
separate.