K guys here's a new one for me....

I posted a few days ago about setting up a new cable modem from Rogers@Home,
to which Jason responded and everything worked great first time I tried it.
So I was connected to the net started getting packages and configuring the
box (its gonna be a test webserver) had one last Apache error to track down
and I was done. Then it happened.

The box did not have X on it and Lynx was becoming a bit of a pain, so I
unplugged the ethernet and put it into one of those new powerbooks (very
nice), so i could track down a solution for the error on the web. Found the
solution plugged the ethernet back in and nothing couldn't ping anything
virtually no connection except to ping itself.

Would love to hear from someone, if they can explain why this would happen
but hold on there's more...

So after trying new cables and nics and even a different pc and too many
reluctant re-installs later I still can't for the life of me get the
internet connection going again...Does anybody have a clue? I've even called
the isp to see if they've changed and of the connection details so unless
they are lying to me nothing has changed.

So at this point what are my options? What are the configuration files I may
need to adjust? what info do you guys need from me? To help me out. I come
from a RH background and still am unfamilliar to the nuances of Debian.

Are there any other files i should be looking at other than:

/etc/resolve.conf
/etc/network/interfaces
and the host files?

as well whats the difference between

/etc/init.d/networking restart and reload?

Thanx for any help you can give me. I've pumped up debian so much to  my
boss I'd look like a fool to go back to RH now + I dont want to...Debian is
the best distro out there, I use it at home and it runs fine.

CM

O almost forgot how would I go about getting the networking goin post
install.
Insmod'ing the module for the card and then what thanks again everyone