Re: My printer prints blank pages all the time

Quoting Thomas J. Hamman (hawk3@eagnet.com):

> With my old HP DeskJet, if a print job messed up in any way or if I
> tried to stop one somehow the thing would go NUTS.  It would spit out
> page after page, some blank but most with a line or so of gibberish
> ASCI characters (as if it was pissing on my paper to taunt me or
> something).

That's always a danger with printers that get their graphics sent
*to* them rather than generating it themselves. If the character
that switches into graphics-mode is lost, the printer prints everything
in text mode, page-throws and all.

> Even if I turned off the printer and rebooted Linux, the printer would
> keep spitting out blank and ASCI-pissed-on pages as soon as I turned
> it back on, so I had to just leave it on and let it run its course.

That's because linux restarts the printer queues just as it should.

> There is supposed to be some arcane magical way of pressing the
> buttons to clear the printer's memory and make it stop, but this is of
> course not mentioned in HP's documentation so I couldn't try it.

That won't necessarily help as the print job isn't all in its memory,
it's being sent from the computer's print queue. You should remove
the job(s) from the printer queue (lprm).

Cheers,