run-parts and syslog

Hi,
I'm a novice, so please forgive my stupid questions ;-)

I'm using Debian 2.2.17 (Potato). I've placed some scripts in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d
(they were executed automatically by the /etc/ppp/ip-up script). ip-up
uses run-parts. I want the shell-scripts (and probably some perl
scripts) the
opportunity to write status and error messages to the syslog facility.
run-parts itself does not have any documented options to redirect the
echo-output to the syslog.

1. is there an undocumented flag in run-parts, which I can use for this
   purpose?
2. is there an easy way to get messages from shell and perl scripts into
   the syslog?

Thank in advance for your help
Florian