Fw: Ogg Vorgis-Potato

I lost the email of the person who sent me this.  I can't remember all the
hoops I jumped through, but if I was able to do it, just about anyone on this
list should be able to.

I installed the latest Ogg-Vorbis stuff.
I downloaded a newer Grip, which makes use of oggenc.
And I have XMMS 1.2.4 installed, which recognizes the ogg files.

This is on a pretty much standard potato install (I think that I downloaded the
libc6 deb from woody and that was all) and is working great for my CD
collection so far.

I'm not sure if the quality is really vastly superior to mp3's, or it just
seems that way because of all the politics.  Either way, I am extremely happy
with it.

-Lang

SUBJECT: RE:  Ogg Vorbis-Potato You may have noticed that there are Vorbis
packages in Potato, or is it just
in my special distribution? Anyway, that's beta3, you should get beta4 from
 http://www.vorbis.com. The tar.gz archives are prepared for Debian. You
don't have
to compile and install them like the poor (?) guys with non-debian systems.
Type dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us in each directory and you get clean debian
packages.
There's just one problem that we old-fashioned Potato users share: Potato
doesnt seem to contain a GUI application that can plays Oggs. The XMMS
version
is too old to recognize the vorbis plugin. I'm not sure about the others.
Please let me know if you find somthing.
Robert

jUST A TST

--
The English have no respect for their language, and will not teach
their children to speak it.