md5 passwords

Okay, I know how to tell pam to use md5 passwords, but has
anybody actually done this after using regular crypt
passwords? I have a number of accounts with existing
passwords in /etc/shadow... what happens to them? I've been
wanting to upgrade to md5 passwords for a while, but I'm
afraid of totally hosing my system. Any input on this would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com
Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just
happens to be very selective about who its friends are."