Repost (Apologies for HTML): Problems upgrading from potato to woody

Hi all !

        I've been gently adviced to post messages in text only mode, I
apologize for any inconvenience. I'm posting in text only in other Linux
oriented lists already, but I'm new to this list and I forgot to select text
only as default.
        Thanks for the responses I already got to my previous post, I think
I will uninstall all of X and start all over again, meybe with tasksel.

Daniel

Hi All!

        I added testing (woody) to my sources.list some days ago and carried
out an upgrade of my potato box. I got two main problems (amongst others I
may not noticed so far):

- It broke my lilo, leaving me with a missing library (/lib/ld-linux.so.2).
I got the file mailed to me by another user, boot using floppies, and
managed to repair the boot.

- My X system doesn't starts anymore. I tried configuring, reinstalling,
reconfiguring... no luck. It seems that xdm doesn't find a running server
and gives up.

        I've read threads in www.debianhelp.org talking about this, and
found others with the same (or related, such as problems with xfs, but after
upgrading anyway) problem in #debian.

        Is it common to have such serious problems when upgrading to woody,
or it was just bad luck ?
        Is there any docs on troubleshooting the upgrade ?  I really don't
know what else to try with my X system, other than downloading the full
woody dist, building the CDs and reinstalling from scratches...  :((

Thanks in advance !!

Daniel