Unidentified subject!

> I am really confused...  I downloaded several .deb packages from
> ftp.debian.org on my machine at work, and burned them to a CD-RW to take
> home.  I copied the files to a directory /home/Backups/debian, and added a
> line to /etc/apt/apt.sources:
>
> 	deb file://home/Backups/debian/
>
> According to the apt.sources man page, this should work.  However, when I
> try to apt-get install one of the packages in that directory, I get a error
> that apt-get cannot find the file Packages.something (not sitting in front
> of the Debian box, so I'm not sure about the extension).  What is this file,
> what is in it, and how do I build one?
>
> 	More generally, how do I configure apt-get to use this directory as
> a repository for .deb packages.  I want this to be the directory where I
> store the packages I download, and of course, I want to be able to
> install packages that I download.  I tried the apt documentation, but I
> think I am running into the famous "assumed knowledge" problem common to
> much Linux documentation.  I am brand new to Debian, having spent the last 2
> years in the rpm world, and understanding the documentation is sometimes
> difficult.  What obvious, really stupid, newbie thing am I missing here?
>
> Thanks,
> --Shannon

A work around which might be more straight forward is to use dpkg directly.
In order to install some deb which is on your HD run, as root,

    dpkg -i /home/Backups/debian/some_deb_I_want_to_install.deb

As for having apt-get use your small archive on /home/Backups/debian I believe
that at least one of your problems is the missing `Packages.something' file.
You might create it with dpkg-scanpackages. IIRC, that would be:

    cd /home/Backups/debian
    dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -c > Packages.gz

dpkg-scanpackages in on the dpkg-dev package. Its man page might be helpful.
--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>