INN Access w/ Shadow Passwords

I'm having trouble getting INN to run such that it requires userid/password
to get access to it.  I suspect this is because it doesn't have permission
to read the /etc/shadow file, but I don't know why.  I've tried adding
news to the shadow group.  I've tried setting the passwd file to specify
news being in the shadow group.  I always get the same error:

	502 You are not in my access file.  Goodbye.

Is there something I'm missing here?

	jordan:/etc/news$ cat /etc/news/nnrp.access
	stdin:Read:::*
	localhost:Read:+::*

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@precidia.com )

            The only bad mistakes are those you fail to learn from.