RE: Unavailable packages question

> So, why is "mutt-i" still listed if it is not available?  How can I
> flush these "unavailable" packages so they don't clutter up the
> packaging system?  dpkg --forget-old-unavail appears to be what I
> want, but it does nothing from what I can surmise.

# dpkg --get-selections|sed -e 's/deinstall$/purge/'|dpkg --set-selections
# apt-get dselect-upgrade

what this does is find packages that were removed but not purged and purges
them.

As for why it is not available, most likely it is not in the distribution you
use.  For instance, woody used to be unstable, then it was pointed at testing.
So a package you installed from unstable may not be available in testing.