Recommended mailer software

 If I gather correctly Smail was once the recommended or the standard mail
processing software with Debian. But as of version 2.1 Smail was dropped
from Debian due to some serious bugs or something like that.
 I decided to stay with Smail for a little longer as I knew Smail pretty
well, and I didn't have any heavy mail traffic on this server. I will
however move a mailing list to this server soon and I want to use a mail
package that is supported.
 The mailing list is currently using Majordomo, but I'm thinking of moving
to Smartlist.

 Which mail software package is the recommended one to use with Debian
today?

 /Jocke