Re: home network

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, John Griffiths wrote:
> >i thought 10baseT only allowed 10Mbs connections, even between 100Mbs
> >capable cards.
> >
> >also, i bought a 4 port D-link switch for 25 plus shipping.  at that price,
> >you might as well buy the switch.  the resale value is better.   :)
> >

> a good base 100 hub will also do base 10 but check b4 u buy. I think we
> were using base 100 as a nice example.. the same rules apply for a base
> 10 hub

Also, if you have several 100mb/s devices and several 10mb/s devices, you
want a "switch".  Hubs (aka repeaters) just square up an incoming signal
and send it out on all the other ports without storing anything, so all
ports must run at the same speed.  "Switches" (aka bridges) store and then
forward (because they have to look at the packet to apply policy) so they
can operate with some ports at one speed and some at another.

Make a good day.