Re: home network

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Daniel Freedman wrote:

> If you don't want to get down-and-dirty with configuring IP-masg with
> two-NIC's on one box to serve as internet gateway, you can buy a combo

If you're going to have your Linux system online anyway, you may as well
let it do the masquerading.  It's not nearly as hard as it looks :} Most
of the people I know that have the dedicated "routers" aren't happy with
them, citing dropped TCP connections, problems with games, and general
nuisance.  I don't think you'll find anyone to argue that they're *better*
than a Linux system.  And they are lots more expensive than a plain hub
and an extra NIC.

The only reason I would recommend one is if your Linux system dual-boots
and you don't want to have the rest of the computers offline while you're
in your other OS.  I can't think of any other real advantage.