Re: /etc/chatscripts/provider

If you use Windowmaker, you can use wmppp which monitors if your
connected, the connection speed, etc.  It probably works fine with
other window managers, but they tend to have their own, more native
looking applets.

If I recall the AT command set might also have a volume control. ATVn
where n=0-3.  Of course this is from memory of my old 14.4 US Robotics
modem manual, so try to verify that independently. :)