2nd try: OT: Removing forwarders in named.conf

Are there any problems/issues with removing the forwarders statement in my
gateway's named.conf??

After upgrading my potato box's version of bind I apparently lost contact
with my ISP's DNS machines.  With their being unavailable over the weekend
and my needing the contact, I simply removed the forwarders statement found
in the /etc/bind/named.conf file with the hope that named would find other
servers. (I had noticed a number of listings in db.cache, which was listed as
a hint zone in the named.conf file.)

I made this change based on reading some of the documentation, but without a
complete understanding of it or the consequences.

Things now seem to work, but I am concerned that I might be doing something
wrong.  Can anyone comment one way or the other?  I don't want this set up
incorrectly or insecurely.

TIA,

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from