Re: gateway

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 07:48:44PM +0200, neuromancien@altern.org wrote:
> I'm looking for some docs in order to configure one of my
> computers as a gateway (just which file I have to configure for
> the packet coming from the lan through eth1 to go to the net
> through eth0) Thanks by advance fred

mostly

	apt-get install netbase

then munge /etc/network/interfaces to reflect your connections,
for example...

if your debian firewall is at static (public) ip A.B.C.D and your
router/gateway I.S.P.G then /etc/network/interfaces will resemble
something like this:

	# The loopback interface
	iface lo inet loopback

	# use whichever 192.168.*.* you want...
	iface eth0 inet static
		address   192.168.1.1
		netmask   255.255.0.0
		network   192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

	iface eth1 inet static
		address   A.B.C.D
		netmask   255.255.255.0
		network   A.B.C.0
		broadcast A.B.C.255
		gateway   I.S.P.G

(be sure you plug in the right cables to their respective
ethernet ports, of course :)

then have all the other computers (192.168.1.[2-254]) on your lan
treat your firewall at 192.168.1.1 as their gateway.

--

then, a simple

	apt-get install ipmasq

should do most of what you need. (it also installs hooks in
/etc/init.d/ipmasq so it'll also resurrect itself at next
startup.)

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!