Re: permissions and fstab

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 06:04:21PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a dos partition  which belongs to a win98 disk. I need to access
> this dos partition from linux, in order to write some stuff on it. This
> partition
> is mounted automatically at startup trhough the appropriate entry in the fstab
> file. The problem are the permissions. This dos partition has root as owner,
> so I don't have permission to write to it from my personal account. How can I
> fix it at boot time? i.e I need this partition mounted with the correct
> permissions which allows me to write to it from my personal account (which is
> not root! :)).

Hi, Marcelo

I don't know how your fstab looks like but I think you need
the user option.

The entry for my win95-partition looks like this:

/dev/hda1  /mnt  vfat  defaults,user,noauto  0  0

This is mounted manually by any normal user and does always have the user's
permissions.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Andreas.