Re: Win4Lin

Someone posted the below a while ago - I take no responsibility for its
content, I just happened to save it :)

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:30:46 +0100
From: Hans <hansfong@zonnet.nl>
To: The Doctor <thedoctor@nationoftwo.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Win4Lin

Setting up Win4Lin on Debian (tested 2.2)

* get the Win4Lin rpm package
* use alien to convert to a deb --> alien -d Win4lin*.rpm (don't use the
-c
switch)
* install the deb
* change directories to /opt/win4lin/ and run the script postinst-rpm.sh
* if suidmanager is running on your system then open the file
/etc/suid.conf and edit the Win4lin lines, changing 6146 124 to root bin:

win4lin /opt/win4lin/bin/mountc root bin 4555
win4lin /opt/win4lin/mcd root bin 4555
win4lin /opt/win4lin/publicbin/dosexec root bin 4555

[Win4lin has permissions set to root bin, but suidmanager runs a cron job
every day changing that to 6146 124, which makes Win4lin not run until you
change it back. Editing suid.conf will solve this problem.]

P.S. I running kernel 2.2.12, so can't help you with 2.2.18. If you can
compile the kernel with support for Win4Lin then you're set. --hans

At 05:24 PM 2/26/01 -0500, The Doctor wrote:
>The win4lin installer seems heavily rpm-centric.
>Has anyone had any luck getting win4lin to work? I just tried running
alien on the rpm but I'm getting nowhere fast.
>I recompiled my 2.2.18 kernel with their patches, but I'd appreciate
anyones experience in a sequence of events to make this successful.
>-- thedoctor

Andrew J Perrin - Ph.D. Candidate, UC Berkeley, Dept. of Sociology
(Soon: Asst Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin