Re: Making root run fetchmail as a user?

* Mark Devin <mdevin@ozemail.com.au>, 20010326 16:26 +0200:
> Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Mark Devin wrote:
> > > I would like to make fetchmail run as a user rather than root when run
> > > via my /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/fetchmail-up script
[...]
> Because what Andrew Berger suggested was this: su - -c 'fetchmail' $USER

Sorry, hit the wrong key so it went per PM.

> ie if fetchmail is run as the user that ran the pon script then would it
> deliver the mail to the user OK but not other users?  Thus if run as user mail
> then would it have more trouble delivering to the user who called the script
> even since he will have a different UID.

If you have more than one users,

for i in $(ls /home); do su - -c 'fetchmail' $i; done

Though running as user mail, as Henrique suggested, is way more elegant.
It would be a great idea to have a solution for ppp users "out of the
box"...

Andre Berger                                [andre.berger@topmail.de]