Re: Gnome Sound

On Sun Mar 25 02:15:28 2001 Rick Commo wrote...

>------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C0B4B8.509C3310
>
>The computer has a SoundBlaster PCI 16 card installed.
>
>I've got everything to the point where when I boot it up and do 'lsmod'  I
>see that the es1371 module is indeed loaded.  Then I can do "ps -A" and see
>that the 'esd" sound server is running.
>
>I can go to /usr/share/sounds and do 'esdplay wavfile.wav' and it plays.
>Also, the Multimedia applets are working.
>
>What isn't working is are Gnome event-sounds.  I go to
>Settings/Multimedia/Sound and bring up the Sound Event tab.  I can click on
>any of the event sounds and hit he Play button nothing happens.
>
>Any pointers?  Admittedly this a *not* a showstopper, but it would be nice
>to understand/fix the problem!

	I just spent most of the weekend fighting this problem. I have it mostly
	working, but I will be the first one to tell you I don;t understand waht's
	going on.

	First some background. I installed a minimal "stba;e" system, and then pointed
	my pt sources to the Progeny site. Then I did an upgrade to thier RC1. After
	this everything worked like a charm!

	However, somewhere along the way i broke it :-(

	At this point in time I have it back wrkign for everything but xmcd, but I have
	decided to use the Gnome CD player applet so this is OK.

	Having said all of this let me tell you where my system is. First lsmod shows
	_no_ sound modules. Seconf I have loaded the alsa packages, including
	esound_also. Rhird I still get compaints at boot time obout no sound cards
	being cconfigured. I have traced this to tha alsa startup (rc) scripts. I have
	run alsaconfig, but I don't know which card to select for my card, which is the
	same as yours.

	However, as I said, pretty much everything (including Gnome sound events) is
	working.

	Hope this helps.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154