Re: Star Office

On 24-Mar-2001 Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 10:53:41AM +0000, Keith O'Connell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to be able to read, and compose MS compatible documents. I have
>> pretty much decided that the path of least resistance for me will be
>> Star Office.
>>
>> I cannot find it in the 2.2r2 distribution. Is it in there but I am too
>> blind to see? If not is it available in deb format somewhere, and if so
>> what would be the correct location to add to my "sources.list" to keep
>> current?
>
> StarOffice is non-free and not packaged, so you will have to install
> it into /usr/local via a tarball.  eventually OpenOffice will be
> packaged but i think its still in a rather broken state since its
> StarOffice + `sanitation' of patented/stol^H^H^H^Hlicenced code.

Not only that, but it also manages to be incredibly more bloated than SOffice
5.2 itself, and doesn't include any printing support (they're trying to
implement a free alternative to SO 5.2's old printing driver). However, I must
admit that it is very good looking - supports my xfstt-supplied TT fonts et al.

--
Carlos Laviola - ICQ 55799523
pub  1024D/3516D372 2000-06-05 Carlos Laviola <claviola@ajato.com.br>