Re: sshd error message

On Saturday 24 March 2001 18:10, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:

>     Bud>  Is it possible that you have an entry for sshd in
>     Bud> /etc/inetd.conf?  I think you would get that error if Inetd
> is Bud> already bound to port 22.
>     Bud>
>
> I don't have an entry for sshd in /etc/inetd.conf. sshd is a daemon
> and can't be started through inetd.

Actually, sshd can be run from inetd.  The extra time to start up the
daemon would cause some initial delay in accepting incoming
connections, but on a host that rarely needs the functionality, that is
one way to conserver resources.

> Also, my /etc/inetd.conf is empty
> on both systems since I don't run that many services anyway.

Just a thought...

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.