Re: Nautilus

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:23:41PM -0500, Francois Fayard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problems installing nautilus on my debian potato. Here is my sources.list :
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/1.4beta1/distributions/debian unstable main
> deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/evolution-snapshots/distributions/Debian unstable main
>
> When I try to install it, I have :
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   nautilus: Depends: librpm1 (>= 3.0.5-4) but 3.0.3-1 is to be installed

why on earth does it *depend* on rpm?  suggest would be a better
choice since i think all thats for is browsing .rpm package files.

> I don't know what to do, and I don't want to switch to unstable.

file a bug saying that it should suggest NOT depend on rpm, i don't
want rpm installed on any of my systems.

> And another question about Nautilus. I think the two main programs developped
> by companies are now Evolution which I think is a great mailer, and Nautilus which
> doesn't seem to respect
> too much the gnome desktop. Do you think that some debian developpers
> can fork nautilus to make
> it much more integrated in the gnome desktop, or use some routines of
> nautilus and implement it
> in gmc. Does anyone knows the future of gmc ?

i have not tried nautilus yet since it won't install on a potato
system, but from what i have heard its bloated and slow and unlikely
to be usable on anything but the fastest of hardware (a 166Mhz pentium
with 96MB to be too slow if its slow even on a 600Mhz athlon?) i could
be wrong and hope i am.  that would be a very sad trend to see the
gnome project emulate MS to this degree.

as for gmc it was supposed to die, but if nautilus requires a massive
hardware upgrade it may very well live on, unfortunatly...  gmc is
really a pile of crap it badly needs replacing by something usable.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/