Mouse problems on X (intellieye)

I'm using an Microsoft's optical mouse (Intellieye), and am having
trouble getting it to work well with X.  In particular, I can't get the
mouse to emulate the middle button (I tried using Emulate3Buttons). I'm
using Debian 2.2 which comes with XFree86 3.3.6.11. Although I think
this is an X issue, I'm also running Ximian Gnome and Enlightenment, in
case that makes a difference.

I read in the Enlightenment dox that changing the protocol to
"MouseManPlusPS/2" and adding ZAxisMapping and Buttons 5 would help
for a wheel mouse (and not using Emulate3Buttons).  Unfotunately,
changing the protocol caused the pointer to jump around weirdly, so I
changed the protocol back to "microsoft".  It works okay again, but I
can't seem to get either the additional buttons (including the wheel)
to work. Any suggestions?

My pointer section currently:
Section "Pointer"
#       Protocol "PS/2"
#       Device "/dev/mouse"
#       Protocol "MousemanPlusPS/2"
        Protocol "microsoft"
        Device "/dev/mouse" #symlink to /dev/psaux
        ZAxisMapping 4 5
        Buttons 5
#        Emulate3Buttons
EndSection