dpkg-split...help.

I have tried to run dselect to install a basic set of packages on my old 486 with 4mb RAM. ( had to use the hamm dist and the lowmem boot disk.) I have selected the packages and resolved the conflicts. I am atempting to install from floppies. when i run the install option I get the following messages.

Now I need the disks containing the packages to be installed. I shall keep telling you what is left to be done,in case that is helpful decicing which floppy to use.

Packages yet to be unpacked:
2 in admin: cron at
1 in base: psmisc
3 in doc: manpages man-db info
1 in interpreters:  cpp
2 in libs: libg++272 libdb2
2 in mail:  mailx smail
1 in net: netstd
2 in text: wenglish groff
1 in utils: bsdmainutils
dpkg-split: unable to read depot directory ' /var/lib/dpkg/parts/': no such file or directory

installation script returned error exit status 1.
press RETURN to continue.

I hit return and am put back to the main menu. I'm not sure what I have to do to make this work. will simply creating the /parts/ directory take care of it.

I have looked the FAQ;s and in several search engines and have not been able to find a solution.
THanks for any help
jim