Re: sndconfig in potato

"L.V.Gandhi" wrote:

> Using alien, I converted sndconfig.rpm of rh6.2 and tried to install it
> potato with stock kernel. First it gave the error of conf.modules as
> predicated. It couldn't either auto or manual, install sound. Then I
> changed modules.conf with lines from Rh6.2, lines for sound in its
> conf.modules. Still sound is not working. Any solutions?

weird. i don't know why someone would want to try that :) i can't imagine
it working. anyways, if you really have no idea what kind of soundcard you
have then i suggest downloading OSS, it has very good detection routines
and (at least in the registered version maybe in the demo too) you can get
it to show you the settings like i/o port irq etc. provided it can detect
it. optimally i would reccomend switching soundcards to something easier
to work with(SB PCI 128 is my favorite, runs about $28-30 for the OEM
version).

you can always install OSS, then remove it afterwards.. i used it on one
of my laptops. oss caused some lockups so i copied the settings down
and wrestled with alsa for a couple hours till i got it working again.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336