Re: Installation problem

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 10:12:25PM +0100, Sergio Da Silva wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Recently I have tried to install a Debian system on a newly purchased Dell
> system. When trying to fill apt's package database with the contents of
> the CDs a strange error message appears saying that the system is not able
> to read the CDs and that no Debian CD is in the drive.
>
> The system's chipset is an Intel i810 and the drive is a Nec DV 5700 a (DVD/CD).
>
> Has anybody experienced such problems during install?
>
> Any clue is welcome.
>
> Sergio.

hi,

on the dells i've used, including the t600r i'm using right
now, i've had to plug the harddrive cable onto the mobo
(motherboard).  (dell uses a weird way to cable its  hard
drives.  i'm not overly technical regarding hardware, so
"weird" is all i can say/define.)  chances are, the h/d
isn't cabled to the mobo and dlinux doesn't like that.

i think there may be some patch or something to get around
the problem, but it was just easier for me to pop the case
and move the cable.  (btw, dell tech support told me about
this; and i've read threads about it, too.)

anyway, hth.

bentley taylor.

//

--open source is the best source.  linux.