Making X debs

--Please CC me--

  In order to use the newest matrox drivers I need to
recompile X.  I have done this before successfully but
I just copied the new X11R6 directory to /usr/X11R6.
While this worked I had to hold the X packages with
dpkg.  This obviously caused some problems with other
packages.
  So what I would like to do, if it's not too much
work, is to compile and make my own debs of the X
packages.  I haven't made any debs before so if this
is going to be way over my head LMK.  I have looked
around and it seems I'm going to need to use debhelper
or doogies-build system.

  Does anyone have anything that could help me get
started or some docs that I should read?

Thanks
Ben