Re: Why does apt-get want to remove all these packages?

Running
	apt-get update
solved most of the problem.
Now it only wants to remove console-apt, which is in stable and has a dummy
package in unstable, but not in testing. Where as my system runs testing.
Doesn't looks to me justified since I don't notice any dependency problems.
--- Begin Message ---
on Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:51:37AM +0200, Shaul Karl (shaulka@bezeqint.net) wrote:
> I do not understand why does apt-get want to remove many packages.
> Will I have to reinstall them?
>
> 	apt-get dist-upgrade -sq
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   a2ps adduser bsdmainutils console-apt custom-mule cvs cvs-buildpackage
>   debconf debhelper dh-make dosemu emacsen-common enscript esound esound-common
>   fetchmail gnome-bin gnuplot gs gv leafnode libesd0 libglade-gnome0 libglide2
>   libgnomeui32 libgnorbagtk0 libpaperg lilo lynx memprof mgetty-fax mpage
>   mule2-bin mule2-canna-wnn mule2-support netpbm nut pidentd pstotext psutils
>   task-debian-devel telnetd xserver-xfree86
> The following packages have been kept back
>   kernel-image-2.2.17 xaw3dg
> 39 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 43 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Remv a2ps
> Remv nut

<list snipped>

This is generally a sign of broken dependencies or a corrupted package
archive.  Yes, if you commit this, you may have to reinstall a
substantial list of packages.  Better to find out what's wrong first.

In the first case, try re-running apt-get update to update your package
list(s).   This may resolve dependencies.

In the second case, you can find backup archives as
/var/backups/kpkg.status*.  Check to see if one of these might serve to
replace what you have under /var/lib/dpkg/status.

You can also check with dselect or (far preferable) aptitude to see what
packages are conflicting.

--- End Message ---

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>