Re: WinTV card

Stan Brown wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a new machine. I have a WinTV card in it. I
> loaded a minimal stable fileset, and then pointed my apt-get source to the Progeny
> RC1 loaction. The I installed a good bit of stuff, including the 2.4.2 kernel image
> from there.
>
> How can I finish setting this up so I can use the WinTV card?
>
> I used dselect to get the xawtv package, and the fbtv package.
>
> Xawtv wants to link agains teh Xaw3d libraries at version 6.0. I only seem to have
> version 7.0 on my system.
>
> Fbtv can't find /dev/fd0, which I think is the framebuffer.
>
> I don;t have to use this package, if there is another choice. I primarily want to
> view/capture tv images (stills).

this prob won't be of much help. but i have run wintv pci cards for a few
years
under linux now. i recently upgraded my BT848 card to a BT878 because the
newer
drivers crash my BT848(infact i could only get 1 driver to work the
driver/kernel
combo from mandrake 7.0). I run xawtv with xfree86 3.3.6. kernel 2.2.18. while
xawtv can capture both video and stills i don't use it for that i just use it
for a tv. i setup my XF86Config so X would load without a mouse attached. i
also
set xawtv to load as my windowmanager and configured my xawtvrc to default to
channel 3. i firewalled all X stuff from anything but localhost because the
machine is on a public ip. when the machine boots(which i havent done since
i swapped cards) i run startx(as root) and hit the 'f' key to get xawtv
to go fullscreen, then i unplug the keyboard and it runs 24/7. my cable box
handles channel changes and stuff. it works very very very very good. rock
solid stable. the machine is only a p5-200 64MB too. i could prob get
it running without loggin in as root, but i havent gotten around to
playing with that. im not goin near linux 2.4 for a while so i cant
help ya there. oh and the videocard is a refurb creative labs TNT(16MB)
pci card. its a decent card that supports overlays.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336