XServer Error

I have a Diamond Stealth S540 AGP card.  I've just installed Debian 2.2r2
and during the installation process it said that my card was undetected and
not on the debian lists, but I figured I could just set it up later.  So
anyway when XF86Setup was run I went through the steps, set up the mouse,
found my card on the list:  Diamond Stealth III (S540) than clicked done.
Than it tries to run the server and comes up with these errors:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
(It repeats this line about 5 times, than says:)
Unable to communicate with X server

I believe the server it is trying to communicate with is the svga server.  I
tried the xf86setup program again but this time went to the details setting
for my card and clicked the other server: vga16.  After clicking done, it
comes up with the same errors.  There are also settings for chipset etc. but
I have no idea what to set these to so I left them on probed.
Why isn't the server working??

-Arlo