Re: netscape won't reinstall

/usr/bin/X11/communicator is not the binary, but is a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/communicator, which is a symlink to
/usr/lib/netscape/476/communicator/communicator-smotif, which is a
symlink to /usr/lib/netscape/base-4/wrapper, which is a script which
does a bunch of things, including figuring out what binary to run, and
eventually calls the actual binary,
/usr/lib/netscape/476/communicator/communicator-smotif.real

As you can see, this is all quite straightforward :^)

It sounds like your installation has some problems.  I would recommend
a dpkg --purge on any netscape|navigator|communicator packages and
removal of all remaining traces in /usr/bin/X11 or /etc/alternatives
then installation of just plain "communicator" or "navigator", which
are meta-packages with dependencies to the needed packages.  Be sure to
get the versions from security.debian.org.

Or you can chuck the whole thing and install mozilla or opera!

Bob