Re: Getting to Gnome

Rick Commo wrote:

> Time to go to the well (debian-user) again!
>
> A couple of weeks ago I decided that Debian would be my distro of choice.
> It's been a struggle but a rewarding one so far.  Had a "simple" install
> that was sorta broken (WindowMaker was scrawed) but now have it going.  Did
> another "simple" install to another parition and it was fine.  So I now have
> "debian-stable" and "debian-test" partitions.
>
> Tonight I really played with apt-get for the first time.  Got Netscape OK,
> then went for Ximian Gnome (full install).  Had to grab gimp1.2 first but
> then Ximian seemed to go fine.
>
> Now for the problem.
>
> Ximian Gnome seemed to install ok, but now do I actually get set up the root
> and my user account to use Gnome/Sawfish?

I had a similar problem where the gnome components wouldn't all start
up. I was using the stock gnome with stable and had really messed it up.
Once I got gdm up adn running again byt copying the config files off an
identical installation(lucky me) I did the following.

apt-get --reinstall install task-gnome-desktop

It installed one component and then all the gnome processes started by
themselves. I had one other problem after that. No window manager got
started. The /usr/bin/x-window-manager -clientId 117... process.
I started it at the command line and this must have updated some file
somewhere as the next time it started by it self.

Now everything is great. You are not using the stock system so I don't
know if it will help but.
Later,
Eric :-)