cdrom permission problem

I installed 2.2 and upgraded to the 2.4 kernel. I configured my sound card
in the kernel and it works fine with real audio and XMMS. Problem is when I
put a cd in the cdrom drive and execute Gnome CD player, I get the following
error message:
Error accessing cdrom device
Please check to make sure cdrom drive support is compiled into the kernel
and you have permission to access the device.

If I execute Gnome CD player from root, it works fine. I have done the
following..
adduser myusername cdrom
chmod 660 /dev/cdrom
chgrp cdrom /dev/cdrom

Any suggestions?

thanks
--
"If you are a peg, endure the knocking. If you
   are a mallet, strike."