Not configuring the kernel from scratch!

Once I've installed a new-brand potato 2.2r2 from CDs, I'd like to rebuild
the 2.2.18pre21  kernel.
I know that I can dpkg the source kernel from my CDs and
then configure and compile it but you know in this case -if you use "make
menuconfig" - Debian proposes a very basic standard configuration which
doesn't
look the same as that installed automatically from the original CDs.
I want to start from the configuration file (.config or
whatever) which has generated the image contained in the standard
distribution.
Where can I get this configuration file?
Vittorio